Now, ignoring the unfairness of SGR not being added in for companions (but I get the logistical reason why), let’s look at the Romance and BSOCK opportunities for these companions. Now, warning, if you are not through the story, I guess some of this could be spoilery. So, if you just do not WANT to know whether you will hook up with that hot pirate, I’m putting the rest behind a cut.
***PRO FORMA SPOILER ALERT***
Here’s my dumb spreadsheet.
A few caveats:
- I suck at statistics. I am wrong all the time.
- I’m counting Jaesa Wilsaam twice instead of as .5 for dark and .5 for light. This is an arbitrary decision.
- I’m counting the pub and imp ship droids separately
- I am also including Treek and HK
- Gender is questionable amongst weird aliens and robots. My solution to this problem was to use the official companion description on the SWTOR.com page, and check the pronouns used. All the gender-ambiguous robots and aliens were referred to as male.
- It’s not as simple as BSOCK/No BSOCK, because sometimes there are Good Reasons for there being no BSOCK option. I’m breaking this down by category.
- (After posting, I found a list of companion ages and have updated accordingly)
8 male companions, 11 female companions.
Agent and Smuggler have 2 female romance options for male characters. Sith warrior does as well if you pick Dark Jaesa (I suspect most do). There are no classes that have 2 male romance options for female characters (we’ll get to one night stands next).
BSOCK without Romance Option
2 male companions, 0 female companions.
This is basically a one-night stand where, no matter what options you pick, you don’t get a full romance. I acknowledge that it is certainly possible to BSOCK a romanceable companion once and then never do it again, but that is not what I’m talking about here.
Not BSOCKable Because Robot
5 male companions, 1 female companion
Most of the robots have clear gender, because of voice acting, except for T7. However, T7 is referred to as male on the official site, so there you go.
If you want to have the option to BSOCK a robot, that’s creepy. Scorpio’s metal boobs are very disturbing.
Not BSOCKable Because Inappropriate Alien Species
12 male companions, 1 female companion
I erred on the side of “inappropriate” when it was not a playable species or a species that I’ve seen flirt options for in the game-at-large. Some aliens are admittedly more inappropriate than others. Khem Val is clearly OUT while Rusk is borderline. I included the following companions in this category: Broonmark, Khem Val, Xalek, Gault, Blizz, Skadge, Rusk, Zyzen, Tanno Vik, Yuun, Bowdaar, Guss Tuno, and of course Treek.
Not BSOCKable Because Old
1 male companion, 0 female companions
How old is too old? Why should it matter? You could argue that Lokin is a half-rak, but Vector is half-bug and that doesn’t stop him at all.
Edit: After a commenter pointed out that Talos isn’t that old, I found an age list and I moved Talos to the “no reason” section.
Not BSOCKable Because Story Reason
1 male companion, 1 female companion
Scourge is in this category because he claims not to be able to feel anything, and I’m assuming that includes below the belt. Light Jaesa is also in this category because she’s all Jedi Code and stuff.
Not BSOCKable Because No Reason?
2 male companions, 0 female companions
Zenith, mystery man of hotness. WHY, ZENITH, WHY?
Talos: Moved from the “Too old” category because he’s apparently only 27. You could argue that Talos is dorky, but saying that video gamers don’t like dorky guys is laughable.
My point to all this is to show that there are very few female companions that are not romance objects. The robots and weird aliens are predominantly male. There is an old dude, but not old dudettes. The default gender for “not romance object” seems to be male… which didn’t strike me as weird for the longest time, but it should, dammit.
- For those of you just joining us, BSOCK means the Black Screen Of Carnal Knowledge ↩